Tips to Avoid a Claim
- Keep some lights on.
- Remove ALL cash and receipts.
- Do not leave any valuables clearly visible or accessible.
- All safes and tills should be emptied and moved off-site for safe storage.
- Keep all cash drawers open to show that nothing is in the drawers.
- All ATM’s should be emptied and moved off-site for safe storage.
- All alcohol products removed from bar and put in secured storage areas (no alcohol left visible from outside).
- Consider posting “NO CASH or Valuables on Premises” signage.
- Deactivate all scheduled FOB door openings (ie. Cleaners, deliveries, etc).
- Disconnect all kitchen gas lines from their gas source.
- Make regular site visits to monitor your shop/business and to manage inventory and storage conditions (consider scattering the times this is done to not establish a pattern).
- Every Insurance company has different insurance wordings, but if your business in unoccupied, you should be checking your properties every day during the shut-down period. Pay particular attention to sump pumps. Consider shutting off the water if it is practical.
If you have any questions about your commercial insurance coverage at this time or want to know more about your policy, contact your broker.