FAQ About Insurance
Your basic insurance questions answered
“What should my plan cover?”
Your coverage all depends on the type of insurance plan you have decided to go with. In Ontario, government regulations state that all people driving must have the following coverage’s:
- Liability for Bodily Injury
- Liability for Property Damage
- Direct Compensation
- Uninsured Motorists
- Accident Benefits
Something you don’t often think about when picking your coverage plan is things that are out if your control for example, the weather. Often times when we get a storm tress, and other derby falling on to your vehicle. You can usually add this into your coverage plan, for as little as 5 dollar’s extra a month.
To find out what your personal plan covers, you can contact your local McDougall office, or visit our website to find a list of our plans.
“Am I getting the best coverage for my money?”
In the insurance industry there is a myth stating “the more you pay for insurance the better your policy will be”, but this isn’t always the case. Insurance rates have decreased in the last few years which make owning a vehicle, home and other assets more affordable. McDougall suggests that when you are looking for a specific rate to shop around with a few insurance companies to see who covers what and how much it cost.
Here at McDougall we offer many discounts for everyone, these discounts include:
- Multi-Policy discount. This discount is offered to clients of McDougall that has more than 1 policy with our company. Whether it be home/life or business insurance. We are working together to help save you money
- Multi-Vehicle discount, this discount is for clients that have more than 1 vehicle insured with us. Often times other companies (i.e. Cab companies) will have many vehicles in there fleet so a discount for your auto insurance once you multiple vehicles that need to be insured.
- The short commute discount is for people who don’t really drive as much as they used too. This plan if mostly popular, for people who live in the city and take public transact most days.
- The deductible discount is a great way to save money! The higher your deductible the more you save on your monthly insurance.
- The away at school discount, is for students who are currently enrolled in school and have a vehicle with them. We understand that most students don’t work while they are in school and need to save money when they can.
- The, Senior discount was made for the senior who doesn’t drive very often anymore, but still needs a vehicle to get around town.
- The conviction free discount, if offered to people who have been driving for a while and don’t have any prior discounts on their record. Not only will safe driving save a life, it will save you money!
“How is my auto insurance rate set?”
Auto insurance rates are determined by a few factors, many of these factors are based on:
- What type of vehicle you drive: Every vehicle has a different safety features depending on the year, make, and model of the vehicle. If you are choosing to purchase a more “Sporty” or a “newer” vehicle your insurance could be higher than other vehicles. Rates are often based on the type and year of the vehicle you are insuring.
- Your driving record: Your insurances rates are often based on your past driving record. Things that influence the premium you pay are:
- Accidents: where you are seen at fault, or could have been prevented. If you are seen as more of a dangerous, the monthly premium you pay will be higher than someone who has never been in a accident before
- Amount of time you have been driving: If you are a first time driver with little or no record this will influence your rate as well as how much coverage you have. When you are a new drive you are seen as more dangerous than someone who has been driving for 10 years.
- Driving convictions: If you have been convicted of spend, racing, impaired or careless driving, the premium you pay will be higher than other people. This is because you are consider “high risk” so your premium will be higher in case of an accident.
- The Amount of Coverage You Purchase: Many people choose to purchase additional coverage that is more than the mandatory requirement. People do this to protect not only their vehicle and self, but also any other persons involved in an accident. The more coverage you purchase the more money you will save in the long run.
- Your Deductible: Your deductible is the portion of a loss that you are required to pay. All deductibles vary from the amount that is covered, to the coverage you have. But having a higher deductible, the less you pay in the long run.
If you have any more questions feel free to contact our office. You can also get a quote online from: https://www.mcdougallinsurance.com/