The Do’s and Don’ts with Carbon Monoxide
Ontario’s second annual Carbon Monoxide (CO) Awareness campaign reminds you that it is now the law to have a working Carbon Monoxide detector outside all sleeping areas in your home if you have a fuel-burning appliance, a fireplace or an attached garage.
Carbon Monoxide is known as the silent killer because it is an invisible, tasteless and odourless gas that can be deadly. It is produced when fuels such as propane, gasoline, natural gas, heating oil or wood do not burn completely in fuel-burning appliances and devices such as furnaces, fireplaces, hot water heaters, stoves, barbeques, portable heaters and generators or vehicles.
- Have your heating system, water heater and any other gas, oil, or coal burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician every year.
- Install a battery-operated Carbon Monoxide detector in your home and check or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall. If the detector sounds leave your home immediately and call 911.
- Seek prompt medical attention if you suspect Carbon Monoxide poisoning and are feeling dizzy, light-headed, or nauseous.
- Run a car or truck inside a garage attached to your house, even if you leave the door open.
- Burn anything in a stove or fireplace that isn’t vented.
- Heat your house with a gas oven.
- Use a generator, charcoal grill, camp stove, or other gasoline or charcoal-burning device inside your home, basement, or garage or outside less than 20 feet from a window, door, or vent.
Test Carbon Monoxide alarms every month by pressing the test button. Replace the batteries every year – as an easy reminder, when you turn your clocks back for Daylight Savings in the fall – replace the batteries in your detector. Carbon Monoxide poisoning is entirely preventable. You can protect yourself and your family by acting wisely in case of a power outage and learning the symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.