Tips on Saving Money on Your Car Insurance
Everyone wants to save money on their car insurance, but not everyone knows how easy it can be to get affordable rates. Just as no two people are alike, no two policies are either. How much you pay, and likewise, how much you can save, depends on your needs.
To begin with, it is good know that basic car insurance contains six main areas of coverage: collision, comprehensive, property damage, injury, medical payments and uninsured (or underinsured) coverage should you get into an accident with someone who is not covered. Each of these areas of coverage is considered separately when calculating rates.
Here are the top ten tips to save money on car insurance:
- Choose your car wisely. The vehicle you drive does factor in when calculating your insurance. If that vehicle is costly to repair or if it is it is on the list of most stolen cars, the rates will be higher.
- Review your coverage options. This should be done annually. Every time it is up for renewal, take a few minutes to discuss your coverage with your agent. In particular, review the optional coverage areas to ensure they still apply to you. Is your car aging? Do you rent vehicles?
- Increase your deductible. If you have collision and comprehensive, increasing the deductible could save you five to ten percent on your rates!
- Ask for a list of discounts. Believe it or not, the list can change as your life changes. Winter tires? Ask for a discount. Have an honour student driving in your family? Ask for a Good Student Discount.
- Discount for bundling. Do you have home insurance? Motorcycle insurance? RV or snowmobile? Bundling your insurance with the same provider can save you five to fifteen percent on your premiums.
- Pay premiums up front. Do you pay for your insurance monthly? Most providers charge an administration fee for this convenience.
- Usage-based savings. Simply plug in the monitoring device and start saving! The device records your driving habits – braking, acceleration and driving times.
- Driver’s Training Programs. The cost of these programs for young drivers is often recovered within the first year making it money well spent.
- Safe driving discount. Your driving record is used to determine your rates. Tickets or at fault accidents end up costing you hundreds, even thousands, of dollars in higher premiums.
- Shop around. A quick comparison can save you money on your insurance.
Over time, our life changes, the car we drive changes, and our insurance needs also change. If you haven’t reviewed your insurance policy with your agent in some time, call us now and see the ways that you can save on your car insurance or fill out the form below and have one of our professionals contact you with a quote!
You Might Want to Read
May 30, 2023
Meet the Dougallers: Mark Runions
May 8, 2023
Welcome McFarlan Rowlands Insurance to the Team!
April 20, 2023