Nearest broker: Searching for a broker nearby…
Nearest broker: Sudbury Phone: (705) 523-2030 Penetanguishene Phone: (705) 549-7437 Ottawa Phone: (613) 733-3312 Parry Sound Phone: (705) 746-2441 Orillia Phone: (705) 325-4234 Kemptville Phone: (613) 258-5991 Eganville Phone: (800) 884-1045 Petawawa Phone: (613) 687-4805 Belleville Phone: (800) 361-0941 Winchester Phone: (800) 487-3706 Wellington Phone: (613) 399-3620 Trenton Phone: (877) 455-0299 Prescott Phone: (877) 504-3569 Picton Phone: (888) 475-2776 Peterborough Phone: (800) 958 2270 Perth Phone: (877) 248-1222 Pembroke Phone: (877) 399-3299 Oshawa Phone: (800) 887-7309 North Bay Phone: (705) 475-0001 Napanee Phone: (613) 354-2152 Morrisburg Phone: (800) 806-0746 Midland Phone: (888) 737-6465 Madoc Phone: (613) 473-5266 Kingston Phone: (800) 590-5422 Gananoque Phone: (800) 932-2131 Embrun Phone: (866) 853-4740 Crysler Phone: (888) 292-7098 Courtice Phone: (888) 761-0443 Cornwall Phone: (844) 463-3616 Cobourg Phone: (800) 895-5902 Carleton Place Phone: (888) 237-9517 Brockville Phone: (888) 345-8663 Brighton Phone: (613) 475-1430 Barry’s Bay Phone: (866) 845-2123 Barrie Phone: (705) 726-3350 Bancroft Phone: (800) 994-0036 Arnprior Phone: (800) 668-7337
Get a Quote
Open Menu

The Difference Between Renter’s and Homeowner’s Insurance

Finding the right insurance policy is absolutely vital for any individual who rents or owns property. Whether you’re renting an apartment or own a home, calamities are bound to happen and it’s always better to be safe than to be sorry.

So what’s the difference between renter’s and homeowner’s insurance?

Simply put, renter’s insurance is designed for individuals who are renting a property, whether it’s an apartment, condo or a town home, while home owner’s insurance is meant for individuals who own their dwelling.

Since you don’t own the property, in the case of renter’s insurance one is not insuring the property itself but their personal belongings. It is designed to protect the contents of your home against disaster or theft. Renter’s insurance normally also covers any person that is injured while they are in your apartment. In the case of those injured outside your apartment, the landlord is normally liable for damages.

Homeowner’s insurance, on the other hand, protects the property of the home owner – that is the house itself – against calamities, whether environmental or man-made. It is also designed to cover your personal property that is located within your home.

Homeowner’s insurance also covers the costs of repairing and replacing the house in order to restore it to its original condition. Renter’s insurance does not cover these costs when it comes to damage to the rental property.

In both cases, it’s important to get the right coverage for your needs. The best way to ensure this is to call and speak to a McDougall Insurance expert: 1-800-361-0941.

No comments found.
Anonymous User

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You Might Want to Read

Meet the Dougallers: Rebecca Slaughter
Meet the Dougallers is back with Rebecca Slaughter who is part of our new office in Petawawa! We sat her down to find out a...
Welcome Burr Insurance to the Team!
Burr, is it cold in here? Not anymore, we are heating things up with the addition of Burr Insurance to the McDougall Insurance team! Burr...
McDougall Family Fund 2021!
Our McDougall Family Fund is back! Go to our Facebook Page for full details. What is the McDougall Family Fund Contest? This is our 8th...
Request a Free Quote

It’s simple and won’t take long.

Get a Quote800-361-0941

Person standing, looking down at laptop