Accidents Happen. Don’t Worry We Cover That!
If you have ever been witness to, or involved in, an automobile accident, you know the horror of that metal crashing sound. It is shocking, and so is your reaction. The sounds, lights and vehicles around you swirl and your thoughts race. The most important thing, “is everyone ok?”
Once things quiet down, and you are able to assess what is going on, it is time to take care of some important questions.
“Who do I call?”
“Is my car drivable?”
“What do I need to do?”
Most important: stay safe!
- Stay calm.
- Do not leave the scene of the accident.
- Determine if anyone is hurt, and if so, call 911 immediately.
- If it is safe to do so, move the vehicles off to the side of the road, making the situation safe for all including traffic.
- If you cannot move your car, turn your hazards on.
- Take note of the immediate scene; traffic lights, stop signs, signal lights, pedestrian crossings etc.
- Only tell your story to the police.
- Collect the names, contact information, insurance information, and plate numbers of all drivers involved in the accident.
- If there were witnesses, get their names and contact information also.
- Call your broker at McDougall Insurance!
The Insurance Bureau of Canada recommends you take the time to write down the details about the accident. Include in your description how it happened, the time of day, date and location, the road conditions and the speed of all cars involved.
It is also a good idea to do a quick sketch of the accident scene. Simply note the position and direction of the vehicles. Since most of us carry cell phones these days, take a few photos of the scene, as long as it is safe to do so.
Above all, the scene of an auto accident is stressful and confusing, so remember that safety always comes first. IBC does provide an accident report form that you can keep in your glove box should you need it. It will assist you in recording all of the necessary information should you find yourself in a car accident, or witness to one on the road.
If you are ever unsure of what to do, please call us at 1-800-361-0941 and we will help solve the issue. Accidents happen. That’s why you have McDougall Insurance!