Have you driven (or stolen) a Ford…lately
It plays like an old Corb Lund song – streams of cars and trucks, all makes, models and years – stolen. The real losers are those that own a Ford truck, and in the end policyholders. It is reported that theft accounts for approximately 50% of the amount paid by insurers for Comprehensive claims for new vehicle models.
An updated list of the vehicles most stolen in Canada was recently released by the Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC) and Ford trucks account for seven of the top ten stolen vehicles. The Ford truck topping the list, the 2007 F-350 appears predominately on the lists – a rugged pick-up truck used for heavy duty jobs.
Those trucks are also at the top of the list for vehicles stolen in Alberta. Says Rick Dubin, vice president of investigative services for IBC “The trend of stolen F-series trucks was also seen in Alberta where there was a 50% increase.”
In most cases, cars are stolen by those involved in organized crime. The VIN numbers are changed and the cars or trucks are shipped overseas to unsuspecting buyers. They may also be dismantled and sold for parts.
Don’t make it easy for thieves!
- Lock your car.
- Take your keys with you. Approximately 20% of all stolen vehicles have the keys in them.
- Park in well-lit and busy areas.
- Never leave valuables in the car.
- Use your garage.
Be diligent. Common sense will prevent your truck (or car) from being stolen.
Top 10 most frequently stolen vehicles in Canada:
- Ford F-350 super-duty (SD) AWD pickup, 2007
- Ford F-350 SD AWD pickup, 2006
- Ford F-250 SD AWD pickup, 2007
- Cadillac Escalade four-door, AWD SUV, 2003
- FordF-350 SD AWD pickup, 2005
- Honda Civic two-door coupe, 1999
- Ford F-350 SD AWD pickup, 2004
- Ford F-250 SD AWD pickup, 2006
- Honda Civic SiR two-door, 2000
- Ford F-350 SD AWD pickup, 2003
Top 10 most frequently stolen vehicles in Ontario:
- Acura RSX Type S two-door, 2003
- BMW X6 four-door AWD SUV, 2009
- Acura RSX Type S two-door, 2002
- Toyota Highlander four-door AWD SUV, 2013
- Toyota 4Runner four-door AWD SUV, 2013
- Plymouth Breeze four-door, 1997
- Acura TL Type S four-door, 2008
- Land Rover Range Rover Sport four-door AWD SUV, 2006
- Toyota Highland four-door AWD SUV, 2012
- Toyota Highlander four-door AWD SUV, 2010
Top 10 most frequently stolen vehicles in Alberta:
- Ford F-250 SD AWD, 2007
- Ford F-350 SD AWD, 2007
- Ford F-350 SD AWD, 2006
- Ford F-250 SU AWD, 2005
- Ford F-250 SD, 2000
- Ford F-250 SD AWD, 2006
- Plymouth Neon two-door, 1998
- Ford F-350 SD AWD, 2005
- Dodge Stratus four-door, 1997
- Ford F-250 SD AWD, 2004
Source: Canadian Underwriter
Insurance Bureau of Canada