Safe Summer Travel
Summertime, and the living is easy…Ontario has a lot to offer the traveler this time of year, so get out that suitcase and start planning. Whether you are looking for high-end resorts, wine tastings, family fun and adventure, or back-country trekking – we have it all.
The top 10 things to do in Ontario according to Canadian National Geographic include:
- Niagara Falls
- Algonquin Park
- Muskoka Cottage Country and Georgian Bay
- Thousand Islands
- Stratford Shakespeare Festival
- Ontario’s Wine Route
- Point Pelee National Park
- Scenic Drive Around Lake Superior
Have a Plan
- Always start with a plan. Know where you are going, how long the drive will be and always let others know about your travel plans.
- Summer time is road construction time. Always expect roadwork, delays and detours. Slow down in construction zones and have your traffic apps or GPS handy for those detours. Maps are an essential backup for those remote areas without internet connections
If Driving – Check Your Vehicle Before You Leave
I am always heartbroken for those stranded families on the side of the highway on a long-weekend. We have all seen them – camping trailer or boat in tow, bikes strapped to the roof, maybe a kayak or two ready – everything fun for the trip – but they are trying to change a flat tire…
- Check those tires ahead of time. Ensure they are properly inflated and in good condition. This check will save you a lot of time and money – and maybe even your life! Don’t forget to check the spare too.
- Do a check of the engine, battery, belts and all of the fluids. If you are not comfortable with this, take it in and get it done. A few dollars will give you priceless peace of mind.
- Have a roadside Emergency Car Kit stocked and ready. Not sure what it should include? Check out this great resource at the Canadian Red Cross.
Whether you are travelling with your family or on your own, staying close to home or heading to the country, whether you are hitting the road, sea or sky, always play it safe. And remember, travel insurance will help in case of an emergency – medical, trip cancellation or lost luggage.
Now, buckle-up, get out there and enjoy the sun!